Natural Gas Appliances
For your safety, operate your appliances in accordance with manufacturers’ instructions. House piping should be tested or inspected periodically by a licensed plumber. To learn more about operating appliances safely and preventing carbon monoxide build-up click https://www.cdc.gov/co/
Carbon monoxide, or “CO,” is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you. CO is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it.
The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headaches, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” If you breathe in a lot of CO, it can make you pass out, or kill you. People who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, leave the area immediately. From a safe distance, call 911 and the City of Boerne at 830-249-9511, 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The City of Boerne will dispatch qualified personnel immediately to investigate at no cost.
Customer-Owned Natural Gas Lines
In Texas, property owners are responsible for any natural gas piping located on their property from the gas meter into the home or business. The City of Boerne does not maintain the gas lines or equipment on the customer’s property beyond our meter.
Natural gas leaks can occur inside your home on customer-owned piping, buried lines, and equipment. Therefore, all customers are advised to consult with a licensed plumber, or qualified contractor periodically, to inspect and repair gas appliances and buried piping on their property. It is also important to continuously monitor for Carbon Monoxide (CO) inside dwellings and businesses served by natural gas. If buried piping is not maintained, it may be subject to the potential hazards of corrosion and leakage. If corrosion or a dangerous condition is discovered, repairs should be performed immediately.
Do not attempt to fix a leak on your own if you discover a leak.